BONHOEFFER, THE HOLOCAUST AND PEACEMAKING
- COVER STORY—American scholar Charles Marsh brings us an inspiring new biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the pastor who defied Hitler and was killed by the Nazis. But, that’s only the beginning of this story. Marsh explains why Bonhoeffer was able to see the dangers that would produce the Holocaust long before other religious leaders understood that evil.
- ‘THEY WERE JUST PEOPLE’—Award-winning journalist Bill Tammeus writes about why he was inspired to devote years to publishing stories of Polish Holocaust survivors and rescuers.
- INTERFAITH PEACEMAKERS—Enjoy more than 100 inspiring stories of courageous men and women, many of whom risked their lives to make peace.
- WORLD MUSIC FESTIVAL—This week, in our Interfaith Peacemakers department, we are celebrating musicians (and writers) from around the world. Enjoy stories and music videos featuring …
OUR VALUES: FREE AGENT NATION
- NEW IDEAS FOR HEALTHY COMMUNITIES—A veteran business consultant and a university student collaborate on this week’s unusual OurValues series looking at American entrepreneurs trying to build new kinds of employment and reshape communities.
ANNIVERSARIES AND …
- EID MUBARAK! Ramadan is ending in the sweet and festive Eid ul-Fitr around the world.
- CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?100 years ago, an American placed the first transcontinental telephone call. (These pioneers had some prophetic ideas.)
- DORMITION FAST—Eastern Christians begin fasting to honor Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- LAMMAS, LUGHNASSADH—It’s already time for this ancient harvest festival! Enjoy breads and other grains.
- ALL THE HOLIDAYS—Bookmark our master list at www.InterfaithHolidays.com
TRAVELING THE WORLD
- DOOR COUNTY—Photographer and author Rodney Curtis visits Wisconsin’s colorful Door County.
- NORTHERN IRELAND—FeedTheSpirit columnist Bobbie Lewis visits Northern Ireland and serves up a recipe for Fish and Chips.
- HEAD OUTDOORS with columnist Debra Darvick for the latest His Lens/My Pen column about … two geese.
- FROM CHINA TO AMERICA—You’ll never think about Heather the same way after columnist Suzy Farbman’s story about one American family.
GREAT FILMS AND MORE
- VISUAL PARABLES—Our online hub for more than 1,000 film reviews and study guides.
- BEGIN AGAIN—Faith and film writer Edward McNulty says: 5 out of 5 stars! Don’t miss it!
- LUCY—Ed McNulty gives 4 stars to this sci-fi tale of a female super hero.
- THE GERMAN DOCTOR—4 stars for this chilling fictional film about a Nazi doctor’s life in Argentina.
- TRANSFORMERS—“Age of Extinction” sequel is OK at 3 stars.
- PLANES—The “Fire & Rescue” sequel is worth packing up the kids to go see.
- EARTH TO ECHO—Also 3 stars for this tale of four kids trying to help a little visitor from outer space.
- LEARNING FROM HUNGER GAMES—Jane Wells writes about several ideas youth groups are using this summer to learn about chronic global problems of hunger and homelessness.