WE’VE NEVER SEEN A BOOK LAUNCH LIKE THIS!
- COVER STORY—If you care about America’s great cities … If you care about the future of book publishing … You’ll love this week’s cover story about a historic launch of a new publishing house in the city of Detroit. Yes, that’s right! An enormous crowd flooded into the city’s Orchestra Hall to launch a new publisher, a new book, a new sign of hope.
- GET INVOLVED / GET THE BOOK—Learn more about the first book from Detroit’s new Cass Community Publishing and order your copy now.
- THE VISIONARY—Who is this woman, Faith Fowler, who is inspiring so many?
- THE DAY OF ATONEMENT—What are the ancient roots of this solemn observance? Joe Lewis and Stephanie Fenton tell readers the story behind what is widely regarded as the most important day in the Jewish calendar.
- FEED THE SPIRIT—Learn about a different kind of “fast” food—culinary customs surrounding this challenging 25-hour fast. (Complete with a delicious salmon recipe.)
- MARCIA FALK—The poet and translator talks about inspiring readings for this season.
- ROSH HASHANAH 5775—It’s over now, but you still may want to read about the start of this High Holiday season, the so-called Jewish New Year.
THE HAJJ and MORE HOLIDAYS
- THE HAJJ—Read all about the annual pilgrimage by millions of Muslims to Mecca, including news this year about ebola precautions and other fascinating details about this enormous global event.
- EID AL-ADHA—Story coming this week.
- ALL THE HOLIDAYS—Share this useful link to our entire calendar of stories about worldwide observances: www.InterfaithHolidays.com
- SPECIAL OCTOBER THEMES—There’s something for everyone here! Clergy are honored this month; it’s National Arts and Humanities Month; it’s a month for raising awareness about breast cancer—and about the need to prevent bullying. (And, psst! We’ve got a special month-long offer in this column to help with the anti-bullying effort!)
PRAYER IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS?
- PART 1—Should we reinstate classroom prayers?
- PART 2—How about graduation ceremonies?
- PART 3—Can a student write a term paper about prayer?
- PART 4—Thursday.
- PART 5—Friday.
- CHILDREN’S VALUES—Dr. Baker just completed a series on the values Americans agree we should teach to our children.
BULLYING IS NO LAUGHING MATTER
- BULLYING PREVENTION MONTH—We’re making a special offer through October to help promote this important national campaign. We explain how you can help in this “October overview” story.
- NEW—LUANN—This week’s newest “discussion guide” for adults to use with kids features a comic from the popular Luann.
- AND THERE’S MORE—We’ve now got eight discussion guides, complete with comics, available for you to use with kids.
- MEET KURT KOLKA—The cartoonist who started this historic comic book campaign, Kurt Kolka, is traveling in the Midwest in October. Two places you can meet him: October 6 at Chris Yambar’s Lawn-Con-5 in Youngstown, Ohio; and October 9 at Saturn Booksellers in Gaylord, Michigan.
Soon, we will be returning to other themes that readers are widely reading and sharing, including out profiles of peacemakers 100 years ago in the First World War. If you have would like to propose a peacemaker profile—ancient or contemporary—email us at ReadTheSpirit@gmail.com
- ANNE FRANK—The little girl who awakened the world’s compassion when her diary was published.
- EPHRAIM ISAAC—Part of the Yemeni Jewish community in Ethiopia.
- MARTIN BUBER—The great philosopher and theologian had a profound impact on Jewish-Christian relationships.
FAITH, FILM … AND MORE
VISUAL PARABLES—More than 1,000 faith-and-film reviews, updated nearly every day.
- LOVE IS STRANGE—Alfred Molina and John Lithgow are terrific. (5 out of 5 stars)
- MY OLD LADY—Kevin Kline stars as an American who discovers one surprise after another in Paris. (4 stars)
- THE TRIP TO ITALY—Not everyone’s glass of wine, but an intriguing “road” movie for those with the right taste. (3 stars)
- IF I STAY—Some promising values, but major lapses in believability. (2.5 stars)
SUZY FARBMAN—In the Godsigns column, a dream of angels still inspires a nurse’s life.